Rel McCoy condensed bio
Toronto native Rel McCoy writes songs for the thinker and the feeler. Hard beats, melodic hooks and a depth of writing that today’s hiphop sadly lacks, make Rel’s content distinguished and refreshing. Referring to himself as a “skeptical believer” Rel somehow makes the paradox work, encouraging listeners to “question everything” while making his faith known to those who dare to listen for the deeper stratum. The enigma of Rel unfolds further as he battles depression in one song (Sunshine), and then starkly contrasts it with an anthem of encouragement (Hallelujah), proving that there is nothing one dimensional about the emcee- producer.
Employing a writing style reminiscent of rhyme virtuosos like Common, Elzhi, and Black Thought, it’s clear that Rel has spent some quality time with the pen, and has taken strong cues from some of the greats. His skillful incorporation of classic machines [MPC3000 and the SP1200] give Rel that extra edge with a warm familiar groove, constructing bangers in his own distinct fashion. Without announcement, the Canadian triple threat quietly packed up his studio and moved to Spain in late 2020 hunting for fresh inspiration, promising new content for 2021.
• 2 time Independent Music Award winner
• Contributions on 4 of Juno award winner Shad’s albums
• Album The 13th Floor - #1 on Canadian College hiphop charts for more than 10 weeks
• Album Gas Money - video premieres on both HipHop DX and Noisey
• Tours - Canada, U.S.A, Australia, Japan.
• Successful Kickstarter campaign 2016 raising upwards of $11,000.00
• Shared stage with Slaughterhouse, Pharoahe Monch, Pharcyde, Kev Brown, Jeru the
Damaja, Araab Musik, Masta Ace and many more
• Key Industry Conferences - SXSW, NXNE, COCA, CMW, SLED ISLAND, PANAM GAMES ++